FWBC is responsible for ensuring cooperative, productive and harmonious workplace relations in the building industry.
FWBC’s vision is – fair and productive Australian building and construction workplaces.
FWBC’s mission is – deliver impartial and comprehensive workplace regulation and advice.
We assist with building and construction workplace enquiries and issues:
- Do I need to be part of a union?
- Do I have to take part in industrial action?
- When can a union official enter a work site?
FWBC is responsible for the following workplace relations matters in the building and construction industry:
Educating and advising
- Responding to enquiries for advice and assistance
- Conducting presentations on the rights and responsibilities of building industry participants
- Producing and distributing fact sheets on legislation, regulations and industrial relations practices
- Publishing a monthly newsletter and distributing news and updates on topics affecting the industry
- Regularly updating our website with the latest news, legal findings and operational activities of the FWBC.
Investigating and auditing
Investigating alleged contraventions of:
- the Fair Work Act 2009 (FW Act)
- the Independent Contractors Act 2006 (IC Act)
- monitoring compliance with the Building Code 2013 (Building Code) through site visits, site inspection and audits.
Taking legal action
Instituting proceedings for contraventions of the Fair Work Act 2009 (FW Act), in particular in relation to:
- Industrial action before the nominal expiry date of an enterprise agreement
- Workplace rights
- Strike pay
- Right of entry
- Intervening in relevant court proceedings that involve a building industry participant or building work
- Making submissions in relevant Fair Work Commission proceedings that involve a building industry participant or building work
- Referring to other bodies.
Where appropriate, referring matters to other Commonwealth or State and Territory bodies, including the:
- Fair Work Ombudsman
- Australian Taxation Office
- Australian Federal Police
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- Director of Public Prosecutions
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
Need more information about FWBC’s role in the building and construction industry?
Need more information about our role? Please contact the FWBC Hotline on 1800 003 338.
Hotline: 1800 003 338
7:00am - 5:00pm Monday to Friday